1. Wald A, et al. The burden of constipation on quality of life: results of a multinational survey. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007;26(2):227-36. (PubMed)
2. Pitkala KH, et al. Fermented cereal with specific bifidobacteria normalizes bowel movements in elderly nursing home residents. A randomized, controlled trial. J Nutr Health Aging. 2007;11(4):305-11. (PubMed)
3. Eskesen D, et al. Effect of the probiotic strain Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis, BB-12®, on defecation frequency in healthy subjects with low defecation frequency and abdominal discomfort: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group trial. Br J Nutr. 2015;114(10):1638-46. (PubMed)
4. Matsumoto M, et al. Impact of LKM512 yogurt on improvement of intestinal environment of the elderly. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2001;31(3):181-6. (PubMed)
5. Nishida S, et al. Effect of Yogurt Containing Bifidobacterium lactis BB-12 on Improvement of Defecation and Fecal Microflora of Healthy Female Adults. Milk Science. 2004;53(2):71-80.
6. Murakami T, et al. Safety and effect of yoghurt containing Bifidobacterium lactis BB-12 on improvement of defecation and fecal microflora in healthy volunteers. J Nutr Food. 2006;9:15-26.
7. Uchida K, et al. Effect of fermented milk containing Bifidobacterium lactis Bb-12 on stool frequency, defecation, fecal microbiota and safety of excessive ingestion in healthy female students - 2nd report. J Nutr Food. 2005;8:39-51.
8. Gershon MD, Tack J. The Serotonin Signaling System: From Basic Understanding To Drug Development for Functional GI Disorders. Gastroenterology. 2007;132(1):397-414. (PubMed)
9. Tack J, Müller-Lissner S. Treatment of chronic constipation: current pharmacologic approaches and future directions. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;7(5):502-8; quiz 496. (PubMed)
10. Andrews CN, Storr M. The pathophysiology of chronic constipation. Can J Gastroenterol. 2011;25 Suppl B:16b-21b. (PubMed)
11. Mayo Clinic. Constipation. Updated 29 June 2019. (Source - accessed 25th May 2020.)
12. Longstreth GF, et al. Functional bowel disorders. Gastroenterology. 2006;130(5):1480-91. (PubMed)
13. Alander M, et al. Effect of galacto-oligosaccharide supplementation on human faecal microflora and on survival and persistence of Bifidobacterium lactis Bb-12 in the gastrointestinal tract. International Dairy Journal. 2001;11(10):817-25. (Source)
14. Leser TD. Bifidobacteria stimulate serotonin secretion in an endocrine cell line. ASM Microbe; June 1-5 2017; New Orleans, USA.